Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Swaziland Cultural Experience

Today we drove about 20 minutes from our accommodation to Esitjeni, to meet the children at the orphanage and learn about traditional Swaziland culture. Before we got there, we were given cloth wraps with the king's face for the girls to tie around our waists. In Swazi culture, women are not allowed to wear pants, so we used them as make-shift skirts. On our way to the village, we also stopped by a local market to pick up oranges, bananas, apples, and biscuits to hand out to the children. 
After we dropped the food off at the orphanage, we walked a short distance to the village. The chief welcomed us in past the wooden fencing to join her in the center of the village. We all sat down in a half circle, and were eager to listen to her knowledge of the Swazi culture. She spoke little English, so our guide translated her speeches for us. She told us about the jobs of men and women, and gave us examples on how they go about their daily lives. We were able to look at their pottery, and see how they make their beer (1% alcohol). "The women in the village are not allowed to drink the beer" the chief explained, "because if they are drunk, then how will the people eat!" A few of the girls from our group were tested on their abilities to balance items on their heads while dancing, and we were all given the chance to braid straw to help fix the wooden walls protecting the village. Then all the girls were told to stand up, so we could learn a traditional song & dance with the chief, and some women/girls of the village. The dance was easy, only composed of stepping side-to-side, but the song was a little more difficult to get the hang of. After we mastered our song & dance combo, it was the boys turn. It was funny to watch them because there were only seven from ISV, compared to the 30+ girls. They weren't the strongest of singers, but they definitely got the dance down! When we were finished, we had the opportunity to buy some jewelry/momentos from the women. (Pic 1: chief explaining some of traditions. Pic 2: my straw braids on the fence. Pic 3: the chief and I) 

Then it was time to return to the orphanage to hand out the food, and donations we brought. The number of children that were there when we first arrived had tripled. Our group set up tables, and the children formed 3 lines. We gave each child one of each fruit, and one biscuit (cracker/cookie). 
The lines didn't really last long, but we made sure that every child got food. After all of the food was handed out, we organized our donations. First the chief (who also runs the orphanage), called in the double orphans to get what they need. Explanation: double orphans don't have either parent. Single orphans lost a mother or father. Vulnerable children may have both parents, but don't have a safe home life. After the double organs, the chief called in specific single orphans, who she knew needed specific things more than other children. After about 30 minutes, all of the donations were gone. Other than clothes, some people bought school supplies or games that will stay at the orphanage for the children to use whole they are there. Here is a list explaining the situation of the community we were in that the chief made. 
 Then we were able to meet the children, and play with their new toys & games. We taught the girls how to use hula hoops, and other children how to throw frisbees or play clapping games. I tried to move around and meet as many children as possible. I didn't want to get too attached to one child, because I knew it would be more heartbreaking to leave them. Then along came Nulweni, who stole my heart. She came up to me, told me I was very pretty, and wanted to introduce me to her sister & friends. 
I played a few clapping games with them, and then it was time for their lunch. She brought me with her to show me how they wash their hands, pray, and recieve their food. Unfortunately, then it was time to go. Before I even began to say goodbye I could feel myself getting choked up, but then she grabbed my hand and gave me one of her bracelets. That of course made me cry, and hug her tighter. I gave her my sunglasses, and two button ups that I had with me. Before I gave her anything, I made her promise to stay in school so that she could be like me and travel the world. She said I promise, and I will always remember you. I gave her one more big hug, and basically ran to the bus so that she didn't see me cry anymore. 
Seeing all of the children at the orphanage was a very eye opening experience. Even though many of them have never had a proper home, or someone to really care about them as an individual, they were some of the nicest and happiest children I have ever met. Every child that I talked to seemed so positive about their life, and were just happy to be there with us. Every time that I look at the picture of Nulweni, all I want to do is be back in Swaziland with them just for one more hour. The chief explained to us that the only way the children get to eat is by donations. They have a few organizations, including ISV, that give them resources, but sometime they do have times when they run out. She said that there are aome days when she can't make the kids a full meal, and when they ask why, she has to explain. She tells them that God wasn't able to give them everything today, but it's okay. If they pray really hard, then hopefully he will send someone tomorrow to help us have full bellies. This is how the children live their lives every day, not knowing if they will actually eat a full meal or one at all. But with all of their misfortunes they stay positive, and look forward to each new day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment