Sunday, May 31, 2015

First Night

After our flight to East London, we met up with our project leader and ISV leader! Were are staying in an adorable house on the coast of the Indian Ocean, with an amazing view. After we had our introductions with the leaders and "house moms" (two women who own the house, who also cook dinner for us. The main women told us that she is our Africa mom.) we walked down to the beach, and played some soccer. The coastal view of the sunset is absolutely breathtaking. 

Tomorrow we are going to wake up early to hangout on the beach before we get a tour of our project site. We found out today that we will be constructing sanitation huts. (Out houses) these will be used by the orphanage/day-care in the community. These are extremely needed because they currently have to "go to the loo", in a designated spot by the building. The next two weeks we will be constructing those, playing games with the children, and exploring the local area. 

I only get wifi by the main office which is a few blocks away. I'll be typing these messages on my phone as I go, then whenever I am in the wifi area I will post whatever I have saved. I'm looking forward to seeing the village, and making a difference! 

Fun Fact: The town we are staying in (Chintsa), is pronounced as "sin- sa" the "sin" is made by clicking your tongue to the back of your front teeth. We will be learning pronunciation of the clicks, and basic terms on our second day at the worksite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment