Saturday, May 30, 2015

Forever in Flight

The time felt like it was flying by.... Until it wasn't. My row mates are amazing. I spoke to the woman next to me for the first four hours of the flight about my trip, what to expect, what I should/shouldn't do, and how beautiful everything is going to be. She lived in Botswana for 12 years, and is going back to visit for the first time in a few years. She said that the culture shock going back to America (where she was born) was difficult because it is a "fend for yourself" mentality versus the community lifestyle of many towns/villages in Africa. I'm very excited to see, and emerse myself in that kind of culture. She warned me that I'm not going to want to go back (don't worry guys I promise I will), but I'm guessing I will want to return again sometime in my life. 

Thankfully, I have only heard one crying baby, and there are no screaming toddlers! :) unfortunately, my tv for my seat doesn't work, so I've been reading and trying to sleep. I was so excited for the awesome selection of movies. Oh well. My buddy next to me let me watch Selma with her, and shared her headphones, but I fell asleep about 15 minutes into it. 

Surprisingly the "lunch" (I say that because it counts as dinner also) was really good! I decided to go with the vegetarian option because the chicken looked more like beef.. But I had pasta, a mini salad, bread, and cheesecake for desert! The miniature silverware they give you is too cute. It's 7:33pm est, but 1:32 am where we are heading. I took a nice two hour nap, but now I'm wide awake. 

I have 6 hours and 22 minutes left cooped up in the plane, and my excitement isn't helping me while I try to sleep till breakfast. I'm past the halfway point, and traveling along the coast south. I feel much more comfortable knowing we're not in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean anymore. I'm enjoying watching the little airplane get farther and farther across the screen!  


No comments:

Post a Comment